Africa Map

African Press Agency

African Press Agency Logo
   

 Home
 Country Profile
 Useful Links
 Contact us

Home

San Diego/Mosque ShootingBack
[Published: Tuesday May 19 2026]

 San Diego mosque guard hailed a hero after deadly shooting

 
SAN DIEGO, USA, 19 May. - (ANA) - A security guard killed during a shooting at a mosque complex in San Diego has been hailed as a hero after authorities said he helped prevent the attack from becoming even deadlier.
 
Three people were killed on Monday after two teenage gunmen opened fire at the Islamic Centre of San Diego in what police are investigating as a hate crime. The suspects later died from apparent self-inflicted gunshot wounds.
 
Community leaders identified one of the victims as Amin Abdullah, a long-time security guard at the mosque who had attempted to stop the attackers from entering areas where children were present.
 
San Diego Police Chief Scott Wahl said Abdullah's actions likely saved lives.
 
"It's fair to say his actions were heroic," Wahl told reporters. "Undoubtedly, he saved lives today."
 
Children were attending classes at the mosque’s private school at the time of the shooting, according to local media reports.
 
Friends and members of the local Muslim community described Abdullah as a familiar and respected figure at the mosque who had worked there for more than a decade. Reports said he was a father of eight.
 
"Sheikh Uthman Ibn Farooq said Abdullah chose to work security because he wanted to defend innocent people," according to local reports.
 
Tributes poured in online after news of his death emerged, with American Muslim scholar Omar Suleiman describing him as instrumental in preventing the shooters from reaching children inside the complex.
 
Police said officers responded to reports of an active shooter shortly before noon local time. Authorities said they found evidence the suspects had engaged in "generalised hate rhetoric", though no direct threat against the mosque had been identified beforehand.
 
Investigators said one suspect's mother had earlier contacted police after her teenage son reportedly left home while suicidal and armed.
 
The Islamic Center of San Diego is one of the largest mosques in the region and includes a school offering Arabic language and Islamic studies courses for children.
 
The attack sparked condemnation from Muslim advocacy groups and public officials across the United States.
 
Council on American-Islamic Relations said anti-Muslim hatred in the country had become "completely out of control", while mosque director Imam Taha Hassane condemned the attack as "outrageous".
 
New York Mayor Zohran Mamdani described the shooting as an apparent act of anti-Muslim violence and said security around mosques in New York had been increased as a precaution.   - (ANA) -
 
AB/ANA/19 May 2026 - - -
 
 
 

North South News website

Advertise banner

News icon San Diego/Mosque Shooting
News icon US/Russia/Oil
News icon WHO/DR Congo/Ebola
News icon Anthropic/Global AI
News icon Eurojust/Suspect Arrest
News icon France/Palestinian activist
News icon UN/Palestinian Detainees
News icon Israel/Intercept Flotilla
News icon ICC/Israeli Officials
News icon Freedom Prize/Laureate

AFRICAN PRESS AGENCY Copyright © 2005 - 2007