|[Published: Wednesday July 10 2019]
Canada hotel gas leak puts 15 in critical condition
WINNIPEG, Canada 10 Jul (ANA) - At least 15 people are in a critical condition following a carbon monoxide leak at a hotel in Canada.
A total of 46 people were taken to hospital after an automatic alarm alerted hotel staff to a leak in the boiler room.
Alex Forrest, president of the Winnipeg firefighters' union, told Global News it was "one of the worst incidents" the department had ever seen for carbon monoxide - and said firefighters were "absolutely in shock".
"They realised that there were extreme levels of carbon monoxide and their quick actions likely saved a lot of lives," he said.
Mr Forrest said first responders initially thought only about a dozen people would need hospital treatment, but later found more people inside the hotel.
Those in a critical condition were reported to have high carbon monoxide readings in their blood, with officials adding: "They were transported critical based on that reading and other symptoms, such as nausea, vomiting, shortness of breath, a decrease in level consciousness."
No fatalities are anticipated as a result of the leak at the Super 8 hotel, and most of those admitted to hospital were expected to be released within a few hours.(ANA)
FA/ANA/10 July 2019---------