[Published: Friday August 21 2026]
 Trump 'serious' about direct Hezbollah talks to end Lebanon war
By Ibrahim Alriz
WASHINGTON, 21 August. - (ANA) - US President Donald Trump is prepared to hold direct talks with Hezbollah if they could help end the conflict in Lebanon, according to the head of a US-Lebanese advocacy group visiting Beirut.
Edward Gabriel, president of the American Task Force on Lebanon (ATFL) and a former US ambassador, told local television station Al Jadeed that members of his delegation had discussed the issue with US officials at the embassy in Beirut.
He said they were told Trump was "serious" about the possibility of direct dialogue with Hezbollah.
However, Gabriel said Washington did not currently believe the group had shown sufficient willingness to enter such talks.
"The United States believes that Hezbollah is not yet serious enough about having this conversation," he told Al Jadeed.
Direct US talks with Hezbollah would mark a significant shift in Washington's longstanding approach towards the Iran-backed group, which is alsodesignated as a terrorist organisation by the United States.
The comments came during a visit to Beirut by a bipartisan delegation of US congressional staff organised by ATFL, which advocates stronger political, economic and security ties between the US and Lebanon.
Lebanese MP Fouad Makhzoumi, who hosted the delegation at a dinner attended by several MPs, said the presence of congressional staff made the visit more significant than previous ATFL trips.
"They are the people appointed by the House and Senate, and they usually write reports and formulate positions," Makhzoumi told Al-Modon.
He said information gathered during the meetings would be turned into reports and assessments on the delegation's return to Washington and could feed into congressional discussions on aid, support for the Lebanese army and broader US policy towards Lebanon.
"This is not a ceremonial visit," Makhzoumi said. "They came to understand how serious Lebanon is about implementing the agreement, how the army can be supported, what problems exist and how far reforms have progressed."
The delegation included Republican and Democratic congressional staffers, some linked to the House Foreign Affairs Committee and Senate Foreign Relations Committee.
It met President Joseph Aoun, Prime Minister Nawaf Salam, Lebanese Armed Forces commander General Rodolphe Haykal, as well as ministers and MPs.
Discussions focused heavily on the implementation of security arrangements in Lebanon, including Hezbollah's weapons, the role of the Lebanese army, verification mechanisms and the sequencing of disarmament and reconstruction.
Speaking to Al Jadeed, Gabriel said there was broad convergence between Beirut and Washington over the objective of disarmament, although substantial difficulties remained over implementation.
He expressed confidence that the Lebanese army could take on additional responsibilities and deploy to further "pilot areas" when conditions allowed, while stressing the need for continued US support for the armed forces.
Lebanese officials have argued that progress on bringing weapons under state control must be accompanied by reciprocal Israeli measures, including withdrawal from Lebanese territory.
Gabriel said Israel could not avoid addressing the issue.
"Israel has to address the issue of withdrawal from Lebanese territory, because the level of killing and destruction so far has become far too great," he told Al Jadeed.
He also praised President Aoun's previous call for direct talks with Israel, describing it as a "bold step".
"Lebanon had no other choice but that, or to face further destruction," Gabriel said. - (ANA) -
AB/ANA/21 August 2026 - - -
|