Africa Map

African Press Agency

African Press Agency Logo
   

 Home
 Country Profile
 Useful Links
 Contact us

Home

Flotilla Video/Shocks the WorldBack
[Published: Friday May 22 2026]

 Flotilla video that ‘shocked the world’ accelerates calls for EU action against Israel

 By Gráinne Ní Aodha
 
LONDON, 22 May. - (ANA) - The video of Israeli authorities’ treatment of flotilla protesters has “accelerated” the mood at EU level for action against Israel, Ireland’s premier has said.
 
Taoiseach Micheal Martin said there was “a lot of anger” across the EU at the video of the Gaza aid flotilla protesters’ treatment, which he said had “shocked the world”.
 
He was speaking after a meeting with French PresidentEmmanuel Macron in Paris, after which he said Mr Macron “shared my concerns with the behaviour of Israel”.
 
In a video shared on social media, Israel’s national security minister Itamar Ben-Gvir is seen walking among some of the detainees and saying they should remain in prison for a long time.
 
The footage shows some people kneeling on the ground in tightly packed groups with their hands tied behind their backs.
 
The video and the detention of the flotilla participants has been condemned by senior Irish Government figures and across the European Union.
 
The Israeli government on Thursday released and deported hundreds of flotilla activists who attempted to breach Israel's naval blockade of Gaza. Outrage abroad over the activists' treatment prompted several countries to summon Israeli envoys to hear their concerns.
 
About 420 activists departed Israel on planes bound for Turkey, where they landed Thursday evening in Istanbul. Wearing grey sweatsuits and Arab keffiyehs, they descended stairs to the runway flashing two-fingered salutes and chanting "Free Palestine." Some appeared to be limping.All of the activists were expected to be taken for a medical checkup, Turkey's state-run Anadolu news agency reported.The Israeli Foreign Ministry said in a statement that "all foreign activists" from the flotilla had been deported.
 
Speaking in Paris on Thursday afternoon, Mr Martin said: “In terms of the most recent egregious behaviour and appalling and disgusting behaviour has been the treatment of those on the flotilla.
 
“First of all, they were abducted in international waters, the way they had been treated in captivity is unacceptable, and then the behaviour of a government minister from Israel has been absolutely shocking, and has shocked the world.
 
“But add to that, which is far worse in our view, is the failure to fulfil phase one of the peace agreement, in terms of getting really significant volumes of humanitarian aid into Gaza, and then the continuing violence, elimination and displacement of Palestinians on the West Bank, and then you add what’s happening in Lebanon in terms of displacement, in terms of reckless behaviour in respect of uniformed troops, and all of that really I think has angered a lot of European countries.
 
“So I think that the mood is changing. The precise mechanisms, if agreed on, or will be examined by Europe, remain to be determined.”
 
He added: “Obviously the President will speak for himself, and President Macron will, but I think there is a shared concern there.
 
“I think there’s also a shared desire to move this on at European Union level, and so we will continue to engage on the matter and with other governments as well.”
 
Asked if the video had shifted the mood at EU level towards taking action against Israel, Mr Martin said: “I think it has accelerated the momentum, and I think it’s created a lot of anger, because a lot of what you would have witnessed yesterday was not co-ordinated – individual prime ministers came out themselves in respect of their own citizens and in the context of what they witnessed on that video, so there’s this clear change in mood.”
 
Mr Martin also said he had received “positive feedback” from his correspondence to European Council president Antonio Costa, and the matter will be on the agenda for the next council meeting.
 
Asked about the government’s proposed ban on importing goods from Israel, he said he did not believe a ban on services from Israel was “implementable or viable” and said “the advice we have on that is fairly solid”.
 
“Also, legally, it’s not within our capacity to do it,” he added.   - (ANA) -
 
AB/ANA/22 May 2026 - - -
 
 
 

North South News website

Advertise banner

News icon US/Iran War
News icon Flotilla Video/Shocks the World
News icon Trump/Troops to Poland
News icon Pakistan/US-Iran Talks
News icon Gaza Flotilla/Activists Mistreatment
News icon Gaza/State of Limbo
News icon Iraq/Drone Attack
News icon UN/DR Congo/Ebola
News icon US/Iran War Talks
News icon Hamas/Weakened?

AFRICAN PRESS AGENCY Copyright © 2005 - 2007