Africa Map

African Press Agency

African Press Agency Logo
   

 Home
 Country Profile
 Useful Links
 Contact us

Sudan/RSF CommanderBack
[Published: Wednesday May 20 2026]

 RSF commander ‘Abu Lulu’ must be removed from battlefield amid war crimes allegations

 
LONDON, 20 May. - (ANA) - The Rapid Support Forces (RSF) commander known as “Abu Lulu” – who has reportedly returned to the battlefield in Sudan – must be re-arrested and removed from their ranks immediately, Amnesty International said today.
 
RSF commander Al-Fatih Abdallah Idris, also known by his alias “Abu Lulu”, was reportedly arrested by the RSF leadership in October 2025 after multiple videos shared online showed him executing captives in civilian clothing.
 
A new investigation by Reuters, citing multiple sources, has now revealed that Abu Lulu returned to the battlefield in Kordofan in March 2026.
 
“The RSF commander known as Abu Lulu has previously been accused of war crimes committed during the attacks that resulted in the fall of El Fasher last year,” said Tigere Chagutah, Amnesty International’s Regional Director for East and Southern Africa Regional Office.
 
“It is alarming to learn he has returned to combat without any investigation into the allegations. The RSF leadership must remove Abu Lulu from the battlefield and from their ranks immediately, and he must be investigated for the war crime of wilful killings.
 
“The RSF leadership must ensure that Abu Lulu is held accountable for his actions by competent and credible judicial mechanisms guaranteeing the highest standards of fair trial without resort to death penalty. It is essential that Abu Lulu, and all RSF soldiers who have committed crimes, are subject to an independent investigation for crimes under international law.”
 
Amnesty International is again calling for the RSF to immediately end attacks on civilians and civilian infrastructure. They must also guarantee safe passage for civilians who are trying to flee the ongoing violence.
 
 
Background
 
 
The ongoing conflict in Sudan began in April 2023. It has killed tens of thousands of people and displaced more than 12 million, making it the world’s largest humanitarian crisis.
 
Amnesty International has previously documented war crimes by the RSF and allied Arab militias where they jointly carried out ethnically targeted attacks against the Masalit and other non-Arab communities in West Darfur.   - (ANA) -
 
AB/ANA/20 May 2026 - - -
 
 
 

North South News website

Advertise banner

News icon Sudan/RSF Commander
News icon IMF/Africa Growth
News icon India/Africa Forum
News icon Morocco/Railway
News icon ICC/Libyan Military Chief
News icon EU/ICC/Israel War Crimes
News icon Palestine/Settlers Encroachment
News icon Israel/Syrian Agriculture
News icon WMO/Extreme Weather
News icon Baku/World Urban Forum

AFRICAN PRESS AGENCY Copyright © 2005 - 2007