Africa Map

African Press Agency

African Press Agency Logo
   

 Home
 Country Profile
 Useful Links
 Contact us

Home

US/Iran/MoUBack
[Published: Tuesday August 18 2026]

 Washington ruled out extending a temporary ceasefire agreement

 
TEHRAN, 18 August. - (ANA) - As Washington ruled out extending a temporary ceasefire agreement, Iran will shift to a "fully offensive" military posture because efforts to ⁠negotiate a permanent end to the war with the US have stalled, a senior Iranian official told ​Reuters, 
 
The 60-day deadline for the two sides to reach a permanent peace deal passed on Monday. 
 
US President Donald Trump said that the US had a back-channel to speak to officials in Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps, but said he was in "no hurry" to reach a deal with Tehran.
 
The IRGC, which has grown more powerful during the war and controls large parts of Iran’s armed forces and economy, denied there had been back-channel talks.   
 
Meanwhile, Mr. Trump warned long-time US ally Oman against interfering in his administration’s efforts involving Iran, telling Fox News: “If Oman gets in the way, we’ll bomb.” Catch-up: Iran has been negotiating an agreement with Oman on managing the Strait of Hormuz and says the two sides are close to a deal. Iran says point 5 of its mid-June memorandum of understanding with the US gives it the right to manage the strait, which it shares with Oman. The US rejects that interpretation.   - (ANA) -
 
AB/ANA/18 August 2026 - - -
 
 
 
 

North South News website

Advertise banner

News icon Israel/Settlers
News icon Saudi/Malls
News icon South Africa/Job Crisis
News icon Nigeria/Security Conference
News icon Cairo Talks/Widening Gap
News icon AIPAC/Aisha Wahab
News icon Iran/US/Talks?
News icon Yemen/Civilian Deaths
News icon Iran/Iraq
News icon Australia/Japan

AFRICAN PRESS AGENCY Copyright © 2005 - 2007