Africa Map

African Press Agency

African Press Agency Logo
   

 Home
 Country Profile
 Useful Links
 Contact us

Home

Trump/Ballroom BunkerBack
[Published: Monday March 30 2026]

 Trump building ‘massive’ military bunker under White House ballroom

 
By Robert White
 
WASHINGTON, 30 March. - (ANA) - Donald Trump has revealed that the US military is building a “massive complex” beneath the new ballroom at the White House.
 
Last October, the president gave his approval for a wing to be bulldozed to make way for a ballroom to host receptions and state dinners.
 
Mr Trump, alongside other donors, is paying privately for the project. Its budget has doubled from $200m (£160m) to $400m.
 
“The military is building a massive complex under the ballroom, and that’s under construction, and we’re doing very well, so we’re ahead of schedule,” Mr Trump told reporters aboard Air Force One on Sunday.
 
“It’s part of it, the ballroom essentially becomes a shed for what’s being built under the military [complex] including [protection] from drones and including from any other thing. The glass on the windows is extremely thick – it’s high-grade bulletproof glass.”
 
Without elaborating further on the proposals, he said information about the plan had emerged “because of a stupid lawsuit that was filed”.
 
Showing reporters an illustration of the new White House ballroom, Mr Trump said: “We just got these in from the architects. A lot of people are talking about how beautiful the ballroom is.
 
“For 150 years, they’ve wanted to build a ballroom at the White House, and other presidents have wanted it [for] when we have dignitaries coming, like President Xi of China, or anybody else, and we have very small rooms that are not big enough to handle the kind of capacity that you need.
 
“This [the ballroom] is the same height as the White House – it’s an incredible fitting. I think it’ll be the finest ballroom of its kind anywhere in the world.
 
“A lot of people are giving it really good reviews, some are giving it reviews without even seeing the building, because these pictures just came out today.”
 
Mr Trump said he was “so busy” that he thought it would be easier to reveal the illustrations on Air Force One.
 
He continued: “I don’t have time to do this. I’m fighting wars and other things. But this is important because this is going to be with us for a long time.”
 
The US president has previously been criticised over the plans. Hillary Clinton, his former presidential rival, wrote on social media that he was “destroying” the White House, which was “not his house”.
 
However, Mr Trump has long complained that the East Room, the property’s largest entertaining space, is not big enough. It holds about 200 people, meaning that guests for state dinners have to be seated in a marquee on the White House lawn or in overflow rooms.
 
He has said the ballroom will cover 90,000 sq ft and accommodate up to 1,000 people.
 
The design has proven controversial. It will dwarf the executive residence of the White House and block the view from the main building from Capitol Hill down Pennsylvania Avenue.
 
In October, the president sacked all six members of the Commission of Fine Arts who were reviewing the ballroom proposals. A White House official suggested he wanted members who were “more aligned” with his “America First policies”.
 
No firm completion date for the ballroom project has been given, but the White House has said it will be “long before ‌the ​end” of Mr Trump’s ⁠term.
 
The National Capital Planning Commission is scheduled to take a final vote on approving the plan on Thursday. It was unanimously approved by another panel, the Commission of Fine Arts, after being discussed for 12 minutes.
 
Eager to leave his mark on the US capital, Mr Trump has also renamed a performance venue as the “Trump-Kennedy Center”, and plans to build a grand arch in Washington inspired by the Arc de Triomphe in Paris.   - (ANA) -
 
AB/ANA/30 March 2026 - - -
 
 
 

North South News website

Advertise banner

News icon China/Libya
News icon Israel/East Jerusalem
News icon UK/Gulf States Free Trade
News icon Nato/Gulf States Invite
News icon UNRWA/HQ seized by IDF
News icon Egypt/Eritrea
News icon FIFA World Cup/Cyber Threat
News icon UK/AI investment
News icon Israel/Intercept Gaza Flotilla
News icon Tunisia/Protests

AFRICAN PRESS AGENCY Copyright © 2005 - 2007